Is my Vehicle Taxed?

Is my vehicle taxed?

If you are the registered keeper of a vehicle, it is your responsibility to ensure that the vehicle is taxed. You can check whether your vehicle is taxed quickly and easily by entering your vehicle registration number above.

If your vehicle is not taxed, you will need to pay the relevant tax charge in order to tax your vehicle. The amount of tax you will need to pay depends on the type of vehicle you have and the level of emissions it emits. You can find out more information about vehicle tax rates here.

If you do not pay the vehicle tax, you may be liable for a fine of up to £1,000. In addition, your vehicle may be clamped or seized by the DVLA if it is found to be untaxed.

What do I need to check my vehicle tax?

In order to check whether your vehicle is taxed, you will need the following:

  • Your vehicle registration number
  • Your vehicle make and model (optional)
  • Your postcode (optional)

If you do not have all of the above information, you can still check your vehicle tax status by entering your vehicle registration number above.

When is my road tax due?

Your vehicle tax is due on the 1st of the month. If you pay monthly by Direct Debit, your payment will be taken from your account on the 1st of each month. If you pay annually, your payment is due on the anniversary of when you first taxed your vehicle.

Which vehicles require road tax?

All vehicles that are used on public roads in the UK must be taxed. This includes cars, motorcycles, vans, lorries and trailers. If you use a vehicle on a public road without paying the required tax, you may be liable for a fine.

Vehicles that don’t require road tax include:

  • electric vehicles
  • vehicles that were built before 1 January 1979
  • disabled passenger vehicles

What are tax bands?

The amount of vehicle tax you pay is determined by the vehicle’s emissions, or fuel type if it was registered before 1 March 2001. Vehicles are placed into different tax bands, and the amount of tax you pay depends on which band your vehicle is in.

What is the vehicle tax rate for petrol and diesel cars?

The standard rate of vehicle tax for petrol and diesel cars registered after 1 March 2001 is £140 per year. However, if your car has a low emissions output, you may be eligible for a reduced rate of vehicle tax.

How do I tax my vehicle?

You can tax your vehicle online, by phone or at a post office. You will need to have your vehicle registration number and a valid insurance certificate. If you are paying by Direct Debit, you will also need your bank details.

How much is my car tax?

The amount of tax you pay for your vehicle depends on a number of factors, including the type of vehicle, its engine size and whether it is used for private or commercial purposes. For cars registered after 1 April 2017, the amount of tax you pay also depends on the CO2 emissions of your vehicle. For example, a petrol or diesel car with an engine size of 1,601cc or more and which emits 120g/km of CO2 or less will be taxed at the rate of £140 per year. For a full list of rates, please visit:

Can I get a refund if I cancel my car tax?

If you cancel your vehicle tax, you will only get a refund if you have paid for more than 1 month of tax. If your vehicle is registered with DVLA as off the road (SORN), you can claim a refund for any full months of the remaining tax.

To find out exactly how much car tax you will need to pay, you can use the DVLA car tax calculator. This calculator takes into account the CO2 emissions of your vehicle as well as any discounts or exemptions that may apply.

If I sell my vehicle, am I still liable for the road tax?

Yes. If you sell your vehicle, you must inform the DVLA and cancel your road tax. You will then receive a refund for any full months that you have paid in advance.

What is SORN?

A SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) is a legal declaration that you do not intend to use your vehicle on public roads.

You must make a SORN if you do not want to pay road tax for your vehicle, and it must be renewed every year.

To make a SORN, you can either:

  • Fill in a paper form V890 and send it to the DVLA
  • Do it online at

Is the vehicle tax checker free to use?

Yes, the vehicle tax checker is a free service. To use the service, you will need the vehicle’s registration number.